Fort Bragg Mural Competition
ANNOUNCING! CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS!
ARTISTS WANTED FOR
FORT BRAGG MURAL COMPETITION
The City of Fort Bragg and the A.D. Abramson Endowment Fund for the Visual Arts of the Community Foundation of Mendocino County will host a mural competition in Fort Bragg, California in September of 2017. Three artists or artist teams will be selected from contest applicants to paint three public murals in Fort Bragg, California. The mural competition is a means to enliven the Fort Bragg area with engaging public art and to showcase sponsoring businesses.
ARTIST QUALIFICATIONS AND SELECTION CRITERIA
Artists will be selected according to the following qualifications:
1. Artist Location of Residence (pre-qualification criteria)
a. Two local artists/artist teams (you must primarily reside on the North Coast of California between Elk and
Westport) will be selected to create two of the murals. Local artists are expected to reside in their own homes.
b. One artist/artist team who live in California. The artist/artist team from California will be provided a stipend of $300
toward lodging accommodations.
2. Mural Concept and Image (50%)
3. Artistic Excellence (20%)
4. Mural Experience (30%)
MURAL CONTENT AND REQUIREMENTS
The City Council of Fort Bragg would like the content of the design to be decided by the artist. The Fort Bragg/Mendocino area is a culturally unique region wedged between towering redwoods and the Pacific Ocean. The theme of your design can reflect the local nature, culture or history of the area or it could be a unique contemporary design.
Walls will be washed and prepped with Gesso before artist or artist teams arrive. Artists are responsible for
determining their needed supplies. Mural must be painted using excellent quality acrylics or spray paint from the
following suppliers ($500 stipend offered to cover paint expenses)
Precita Eyes Acrylic and Montana Colors MTN 94 Spray Cans
Each mural must be covered with a final protective varnish coating containing an anti-graffiti clear-coat known as
Sheer-Coat (will be provided).
Artists will be responsible for their own brushes, tarps, buckets, etc.
Each muralist must comply with applicable public safety codes.
-- The City of Fort Bragg will acquire all required insurance and encroachment permits for each mural project.
-- Scaffolding or a scissor lift will be provided by the City of Fort Bragg.
All murals must be completed by sunset on Sunday, October 1, 2017 (unless an alternative schedule is negotiated
with the City of Fort Bragg).
Each mural wall varies slightly in size. Murals will all be 130 SF in area and will be either 8 feet wide and 16 feet tall or 16
feet wide and 8 feet tall. You may submit a proposals for each orientation or just one. Multiple designs may be
Submission Period – May 10th to August 13th
Notification to Artists – August 28th
Mural Painting Timeframe – September 15th to October 1st
Announcement of Winners – October 13th
MURAL COMPETITION AWARDS
Selected muralist or muralist team will receive $2000 to plan and fully execute the mural (paint and clear coat), along with a stipend of up to $500 for paint.
- $500 will be awarded to the winner of the competition (as determined by a professional local artist); and
- $500 to be awarded for the “public’s choice” mural.
CRITERIA FOR MURAL COMPLETION
- Artistic excellence.
- The use of excellent mural quality spray-paint or Acrylics
- Protective final varnish coating. Susceptibility to wear and vandalism. Using an anti-graffiti clear-coat (sheer-coat) is highly recommended.
- Compliance with applicable public safety codes.
- Installation time table/schedule
Please read this section carefully. Incomplete applications will NOT be considered. The applicant’s name must appear on all materials submitted. Applications must be received by end of day Sunday, August 13, 2017.
Artists must provide the following information:
- Complete Mural Application Form.
- Current Resume/CV (PDF or Word format). Note: If this is a group submission, please submit a single resume for the whole team, with individual resumes integrated into one document.
- List of supplies needed. This list should include paint colors and quantity from paint suppliers noted above.
- Concept Description & Design Mock-Up. A brief description of the proposed installation should be included. Artists must provide a design drawn to scale with color, measuring 8 feet x 16 fee with both horizontal and vertical orientations possible.
- Budget and Timeline. Selected artists will have their mural location wall prepared with gesso two weeks prior to the completion deadline. Artists are welcome to begin as early as September 15, 2017.
- Examples of Previous Work. Please include 1 to 3 samples of past and recent work with descriptions. For descriptions of public art installations, please also include location, commissioning organization, and budget for the work submitted as illustrative examples. Artists may submit up to three designs.
- Send all materials above (jpeg images, printed documentation or electronic documents in word doc/ pdf format) to City of Fort Bragg’s Community Development Department either by email, mail or in-person.
EMAIL:Please send an email with subject heading: (name of applicant) to email@example.com. word doc, PDF and jpeg files
MAIL:Please include a CD or thumb drive of jpg images to: City of Fort Bragg
416 N Franklin Street
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
IN PERSON:Deliver to the Community Development Department in City Hall Monday thru Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (closed 12:30-1:30 for lunch)