Contractor & Prevailing Wage Information

NOTICE: Enforcement of the Requirement to Submit Certified Payroll Records Online Resumes Today

The Department of Industrial Relations (DIR) reminds Public Works contractors and subcontractors to submit certified payroll records (CPRs) using DIR’s online system. The Labor Commissioner will resume enforcement of this requirement today, August 1, 2016.

​See full notice below.

Public works law requires private construction contractors to pay prevailing wages to their workers and requires the construction contractor to follow public works law when working on a project funded by a public entity.  A public entity can be the State of California, or any public agency such as a county, city, school or a special district. Prevailing wages are due, in most instances, if the project costs more than $1,000, and involves the following construction work: new construction, alteration, demolition, installation, repair and maintenance. Contractors must make an attempt to hire apprentices when the total project costs exceed $30,000.

With so much paperwork to be completed on California prevailing wage and Federal Davis-Bacon projects, the acronyms for the forms – WH-347, California A-1-131, DAS 140, DAS 142, CAC 2 – can become quite confusing as all of them are part of Federal and/or California prevailing wage requirements. See link below to INSTRUCTIONS on how to complete a Certified Payroll Report.

Link to CA Department of Industrial Relations Public Works Page

Please follow the link above to the State of California, Department of Industrial Relations (DIR) Public Works webpage for information on Public Works Projects, Prevailing Wage, and Contractor Registration.

Information Regarding Department of Industrial Relations Registration

Certified Payroll Reporting