- Our Community
- Fire Department
About the Fire Department
The City of Fort Bragg and the Fort Bragg Rural Fire Protection District formed a Joint Powers Authority in 1990 to jointly provide fire services within the City of Fort Bragg and outlying rural areas. The Fort Bragg Fire Department is an extraordinarily strong and capable volunteer fire department with 36 firefighters and four auxiliary members who actively dedicate themselves to protecting life and property. Currently there are four paid positions in the department: a full-time Fire Chief, an Office Manager, a Maintenance Engineer, and a Fire Prevention Officer.
The Fire Department operates out of three facilities:
- Main Street Fire Station (141 N. Main Street)
- Highway 20 Substation (32270 Highway 20)
- Little Valley Fire Company (33680 Little Valley Road)
The Fire Department responds to 500 to 600 calls per year, varying from structure fires to public assists.
Fire Protection Authority Board
Current Fort Bragg Fire Protection Authority Board members are:
- Chairman: Bernie Norvell (City representative)
- Vice-Chair: Lindy Peters (City representative)
- Treasurer: Cas Smith (Rural District representative)
- Member: Donna Hewitt (Rural District representative)
- At-Large Member: Joe Sutphin (at large representative)